Tuesday, 3 June 2014

fireworks accidents

More children than adults get hurt by fireworks. Even humble sparklers are a major cause of burns as they can reach 2,000 ºC – 20 times the boiling point of water.
To avoid injuries, light sparklers one at a time – preferably wearing gloves. Ask children to stand back whilst you're lighting them.
Only give lit sparklers to children over five, and never leave children alone playing with them.
Once they've been used, dunk the hot end of the sparkler into a bucket of sand. Beware of children's loose clothes, such as scarves, catching alight.
'If someone does get a minor burn, firstly cool the area affected under a running cold tap for 10 minutes,' advises Rebecca Lefort from the Red Cross.
'Then loosely cover it with cling film or a plastic bag to keep it clean.'

No comments:

Post a Comment